Friday, July 17, 2009

ARS KL8DX & knowing the CODE

CW - Challenging Would be an understatement but I have always enjoyed this mode. CW or Morse code has always been a favorite mode of mine. I was really introduced to CW when I first went after my license. CW was a requirement to get your Amateur Radio license but has since been relaxed. I had to learn 5 wpm (Words Per Minute), 13 wpm, and finally 20 wpm. With the help of my CW Elmer, K8QWY, I have grown to really enjoy this mode of communication. In the last year or so, I have taken a liking to using a Straight Key for Morse code. I joined up with the SKCC, or Straight Key Century Club and it has sparked my interest in sending CW as many operators did in the early days. I take much enjoyment sending CW with my Navy Flameproof key but I also enjoy using my electronic keyers.

As we experience new things on the internet (such as blogging) we find things we enjoy and often times leave them behind. I have enjoyed using Morse code for well over 20 years now and even though we experience so many changes in electronics and science, Morse remains the same great mode of communication and often times will work when modern modes don't. I have achieved several different awards that would not have been possible without the knowledge of Morse code. I have worked many new countries that I have only worked on Morse code. I have worked (talked to) stations on Morse code when a SSB (voice) signal could not be heard. Anyone can hook up a computer to an interface and operate any digital mode available today. Not everyone can send and receive Morse code without the assistance of a computer and software.

My blogging may come and go but I'm willing to put money on the fact that I will be operating CW until the day I die. I'm not a great or fast operator but the bottom of the bands are what I listen to first. I live for that Continuous Wave of propagation so I can surf my small signal all over the globe.


No comments:

Post a Comment