Friday, May 21, 2010

Long Days and Summer Plans

The bands continue their poor conditions (at least at my QTH) but I'm looking forward to doing a bit of portable QRP when propagation allows. My future plans as of this writing is participating in the CQ WW WPX CW Contest followed by heading to Fairbanks and operating at KL2R for Field Day! After all that, it will be time for some antenna work (not to mention sending my trusty 756PRO to the doctor).

Since the winters are so long, dark, and cold around these parts it is hard to stay indoors and seated behind a radio anyway. The only summer excitement that I have regarding propagation is some good 10 meter or 6 meter openings. I have been watching the cluster a bit lately and see that 10 meters has been producing some activity (lower 48 way). This time of year, I will often leave my rig parked on 10 meters and after adjusting the squelch and leaving the audio cranked, I will go about my duties around the house. I have HRD set up to send me a text if any Alaskan station is spotted on 10 meters so lets hope I have it configured correctly. If there is an opening, I sure don't want to miss it. I would love nothing more than to work a great 10 meter opening for hours! I have yet to experience that on 10 meters from my QTH but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someday I will.

I have been keeping up with my direct QSL card requests but I do have some catching up to do with my last bureau drop. I recently ordered my next batch of QSL cards so upon their arrival, I will make it a point to get those done and sent back off to the ARRL.

So far this summer is shaping up to be pretty nice. It appears the wildland fire season is off to a good start as we have smoke in the air this weekend. I'm hoping that we won't have another smoky summer. I have spent way to many hours indoors over the last several months, now I want to get outdoors and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment