Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Thrill of the Hunt

T32C Christmas Island QSO on 40 Meters
Last night I began the chase of T32C, the great operators activating Christmas Island (East Kiribati). This is yet another DXpedition with great operators behind the radios. They are managing the masses very well on all modes and bands from what I have experienced. There have been many memorable DXpeditions but this one is yet another that ranks at the top for me.


Stats for KL8DX and Alaska
I have a small station and it helps that I don't have much between myself and the T32C team except for open ocean. It has helped me snag them on several bands and several modes. With modern technology that it is, the logbooks from this DXpedition are being uploaded to the T32C website on a regular basis. This allows for operators like myself, to check that each and every QSO made is in their logbook. This can help greatly with duplicate or "insurance" QSO's and I'm glad this and several of the past DXpeditions have had this ability. I'm sure it comes with a cost, so obviously one of the reasons I will be donating what little I can to financially help them.  

My RTTY contact, since I just made it, is not reflected above. Also missing is a 40 meter SSB QSO. If that contact does not show up, they either busted my callsign or something happened during the upload that my QSO fell out. If my 40 meter QSO does not show up, I will try again hoping it will not be a duplicate QSO.

My hats off to the T32C team as they continue their all band grind to satisfy hungry DX'ers from all over the globe. I can only imagine what the pileup sounds like on their end. What a thrill it must be to experience a DXpedition like this, something I will probably never get to do. When it gets down to it, you can have plenty of financial support, the best equipment, the best propagation but in the end, the operators are the ones that make DXpeditions successful. T32C in my book is very successful! 

The hunt continues...

2 comments:

  1. I have never really chased the DXpeditions. I have always felt that being QRP and having an attic antenna I don't stand a chance against the big guns. But you never know I just may give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VE3WDM - I sure would give it a go! Yes, it's much harder to work most everything when you are QRP but if the band is right, the operator is working split for example, you may just be surprised what you can work. I have logged several stations on the East Coast who were running attic dipoles and low power. I will always try to listen for QRP stations as I enjoy QRP myself! During DXpeditions, sometimes I will wait until the masses have worked the bands and then catch it at the tail end. Patience is not a quality I'm known for but QRP has helped me become a bit more patient. Don't give up! :0)

    ReplyDelete