Sunday, August 16, 2009

SSTV

I got up this morning and decided to operate a mode that I have not done much with, SSTV (Slow Scan Television). Seemed to be lots of activity on 20 meters but the band was up and down. Most of the SSTV stuff hangs out at 14.230 (just listen for the annoying sound as you can't miss it. Almost sounds like a weather satellite) and everyone seems to send there. When the band is open, it can be fun but many stations are sharing the same frequency. Kinda sucks when you are receiving a signal from a station who is not real strong and a stronger station comes in and takes over the picture. But, it's fun none the less.

I enjoy my bureau drops as it's fun thumbing through the QSL cards to see the different designs and comments. The same applies for SSTV. Neat to see some of the photos that people send across the airwaves. Mine personally are all photos that I have taken or files I created. But it is not long before anyone doing SSTV begins to see a collection of photos in their history file. I save photos from my QSO's and I have a few saved that I copied, especially those that I thought were neat! Not a big deal when I can take a picture with my phone, attach it to a text message and send it across the globe faster than I can receive one across the ham bands.

I got started in SSTV by hanging out on the LOTW Sked Page and a VE station there was trying for WAS. I enjoy helping those who may need Alaska on any mode or band (assuming I can operate them) and since I do lots of digital stuff, it was easy to set up and get going (literally within 5 minutes including download time). Just another mode to operate and the QSO's even count toward WAS. But for now, I'm content being a weekend warrior so to speak. I will jump in from time to time sharing photos with other stations around the globe. I'm still a greenhorn when it comes to sending photos across the HF bands. There are many modes to enjoy with ham radio and there is something for everyone. Me, I like anything to do with ham radio, even SSB at times. Even when the bands are not picture perfect, there is still almost something to hear or see with the help of an antenna, radio and some free software. If you have not tried it, give SSTV a shot, or some other mode. It's fun to venture out of ones comfort zone for a bit of excitement. I think you get the picture, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment