Friday, March 1, 2013

Finished!!

I was a bit behind on my latest LOTW upload and upon entering into the website, it told me that I had one message pending. Seems I forgot about my DXCC application and the message told me that it was finished. When I checked my status, I found the following as shown to the left.
Since I applied for my DXCC, it just so happens that I added another entity to my list as seen to the right. I have not chased the DXpeditions like I used to but if opportunity knocks, I will sure try to open the DX door. I can't compete with the big stations but if a new one happens to be in the Pacific or west of here, I can normally be successful in adding that new one to my logbook. The thrill of the hunt is fun as long as the pile-up remains orderly. All to often things get out of hand and now that technology spots a CQ'n station within seconds, it does not take long before the crowd arrives. But if the DXpedition is well organized and the operator controls the masses well, chasing a new one can sure be fun. I will continue my quest to add new entities to my list. Not all of them use LOTW so this is not an accurate reflection of my total confirmed. I will worry about the paper QSL's at some later date, much later. And speaking of DXpeditions, make sure you check out the latest blog by my buddy Scot, KA3DRR! 

Our days are getting longer and warmer, so my operating is starting to dwindle a bit. Now this weekend, with the increase in the solar wind, the bands have been totally (yes, totally) dead here. Having taken the day off of work, my initial plans changed so the dead radio has helped keep me focused on our never ending home improvement projects. Once the weather warms up enough, I plan on working on my low band wire antenna's which have taken a beating this winter. Right now, I'm operational on the high bands only.  

My remaining updated weekend plans will leave little time for radio. With the crappy news out of Washington today, it was nice to log into the LOTW website and receive a bit of good news. 

2 comments:

  1. Phil,
    Good morning from the #hamr shackadelic zone here in Shell Beach! Thanks for the mention, Bro, right on. Yeah, I'm not happy with the situation in Washington either, on the other hand, focusing on low band antennas is a great idea. It seems, unless something changes, Cycle 24 is giving all its going to give. I'm beginning to think about Cycle 25 and where I want to be at its peak -- DRR strategic thinking. Alright, you take care, relax this weekend, and congratulations on your #hamr achievement!
    73, Scot KA3DRR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Phil,

    I find the playing field much more equal on 30 meters because it eliminates much of those BIG stations. I'm also at a disadvantage because of minimum space and very small antennas...but, as you say, it's still fun to try and always listen for new DX. I've found some stations using "2" up due to the ugliness in the pile up. When that happens, I just move on somewhere else. It would be VERY rare for me to work them. hihi

    The clusters can be both a blessing and a curse depending on the situation. I have the best success when they're "in the clear and open".

    I worked my longest distance station yet about a week ago when I heard A45XR in Oman. A distance of about 7500 miles from here.

    One of these days, I'll be able to catch Alaska and Hawaii but they both seem to be an unusual bounce" from here. I'll continue to try....

    I'm with you on Washington. Very discouraging to say the least.

    72's

    ReplyDelete